- Welcome from the Dean
- “Best Value” Law School
- Great Education
- Strong Community
Thanks for connecting with us. Here at UMKC, we're all about connection.
We connect with our students. For four of the last five years, UMKC Law School has been recognized as a “Best Value” law school. What does that mean? Not only does it mean we have low tuition - most students pay in-state rates no matter where they're from - but it also means that we connect very closely with our students. Every student has a faculty adviser for all three years. Students get to know their faculty and their peers very well.
We are also well connected in the community. UMKC School of Law is an urban public law school interwoven closely with the Kansas City region. We have clinics that serve the families of the region, that serve the entrepreneurs starting new businesses, that help the city to clear abandoned housing, that work in defending those who have claims of innocence.
So, thanks for connecting with us here at UMKC. Come visit and see how we connect with each other and with the world.
Barbara Glesner Fines
Dean and Professor of Law
- Consistently named a “Best Value” law school by National Jurist and preLaw magazines
- $19,038 in-state tuition, with most students eligible for in-state tuition for at least the first two years
- 90.7% of the Class of 2016 employed by March of 2017
- 94.5% employed in Bar-required/JD advantage jobs
- Outstanding UMKC Bar Prep course, with 96% Bar passage rate for active participants of the July 2017 Missouri Bar Exam
- 85.3% Bar passage for all first-time test takers of the July 2017 Missouri Bar Exam
- #21 in US News and World Report for Trial Advocacy
- One of only 3 comprehensive Child and Family Law programs in the country, with an on-site clinic, guardian ad litem training, and publication of The Journal of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers.
- Recognized by National Jurist as a top school for Technology, Business, and Taxation
- Wrongful Convictions Clinic and Midwest Innocence Project provide students with hands-on social justice experience
- On-site taxation clinic serves the needs of Jackson County Residents
- Other clinics include entrepreneurship, intellectual property, and abandoned housing
- Study abroad in Ireland and Wales or China
- Student offices and carrels, located in faculty office space to facilitate interaction
- Strategically located in the Plaza District of Midtown Kansas City, minutes away from federal and state courts on both sides of the state line, 150 federal agencies, and major law firms
- 42% of Kansas City Business Journal’s Best of the Bar listings in 2016 are UMKC graduates
- UMKC is well represented in federal, state and local courts, including the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Missouri
- Alumni are living in all 50 states and 11 other countries
- UMKC School of Law facilitated 130 collaborations with nearly 300 partnering institutions who help us with our instructional program – from volunteer adjunct faculty to partners with our Continuing Legal Education programs to community partners in our internships and interdisciplinary courses
- 460 different employers actively recruit our students through our Professional and Career Development Center