The University of Missouri Kansas City School of Law and Peking University Law School, in cooperation with Lewis & Clark Law School and the University of Kansas School of Law are pleased to present:
LINKING THE HEART OF AMERICA WITH THE HEART OF CHINA
Experience the study of Chinese law on-campus at the prestigious Peking University (Beida – pronounced “Bay-DA”) in Beijing. As the People’s Republic of China emerges from decades of isolation, the faculty and students of this premiere educational institution are leading participants in the new era of “openness.” In many instances the Chinese are writing on a new slate, without the baggage of years of common law development. This program offers an unequaled opportunity to observe, from the inside, how China is restructuring its legal, economic and social systems at the dawn of the 21st century.
May 12 – June 3, 2018 in Beijing, China
Coursework begins Monday morning, May 14, 2018 and concludes with the final examination on Saturday, June 2. Plan to depart the US on Saturday, May 12 (or earlier) to arrive in Beijing by mid-afternoon on Sunday, May 13 in time for the opening banquet and orientation. Departure from Beijing for return to the US should be scheduled for Sunday, June 3 or later. Students participating in an externship should schedule their departure for Sunday, June 24.
- 4.5 to 6 Hours of transferable ABA-approved credit
- Comprehensive survey of Chinese law and political and legal institutions
- Residence in the PKU-operated Zhongguanyuan Global Village, conveniently located near campus
- Classes taught in English on the PKU campus by leading Beida faculty
- Field trips to a local district trial court and the Supreme Court of the People’s Republic of China
- Tours to principal historic and cultural sites in the vicinity of Beijing
- Interaction with Chinese law students and US attorneys practicing in Beijing firms
- Welcome dinner and farewell banquet
- Optional three-week “Externship” with Chinese law firm (limited and selective)
Registration is open to all US and foreign law students in good academic standing who will have completed at least one full year of law school study by May 2018, and to law school graduates.
- Current law students must submit a letter from their Dean or Registrar certifying good academic standing.
- Law school graduates and practicing attorneys may enroll on a non-academic credit basis for CLE.
- Companions of registered students may accompany and participate in tours and cultural activities at a reduced rate on a regulated, space-available basis. Please verify space availability with the program administrator in advance as companion slots are limited. Companions must be over 16 years of age.
We anticipate that the core group of students will be from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Lewis & Clark Law School, and the University of Kansas School of Law. Class size will be limited to no more than 45 participants. We seek participation by a highly diverse group of visiting law students. In prior years we have enrolled hundreds of visiting students from more than ninety law schools.