UMKC School of Law

Our school

Frequently asked questions

How many credits do I take per semester?
A full-time student must take at least 13 credit hours per semester, except during the last semester, and may not take more than 16 credit hours per semester, except with the associate dean’s permission. A student will never be permitted to enroll in more than 18 hours, including other graduate courses.

What is a classroom credit?
Students have an opportunity to take courses both at the law school and through other opportunities. However, all students are required to take at least 80 law school classroom credit courses for graduation. The only exception to this requirement is for J.D./MBA or J.D./MPA students.

Classroom credit courses are those courses requiring attendance at a minimum number of regularly scheduled class sessions at the law school. Students in UMKC study abroad programs and in-house clinic courses may count those courses as classroom credit courses.

What would not be considered a classroom credit?
Non-classroom credits include externships, research & writing, independent study, courses taken in other units of the university, journal participation and competitions.

A student visiting another law school or attending a summer abroad program offered by another school should check with the associate dean to see whether classroom credits will be awarded.

What are semesters in residence?
A full-time student must complete six semesters in residence. In the first five semesters, to be “in residence” a student must take at least 10 classroom credit courses. In the last semester, a student may count all law school non-classroom credit courses except independent study and research and writing credit. Two UMKC summer sessions may count together to form one semester in residence. Thus, students taking five regular semesters and two summer sessions at the Law School having at least 10 classroom credit hours may graduate in 2.5 years.

Do semesters in residence count toward UMKC residency requirements?
No. For information concerning Missouri resident status for tuition and fees purposes, contact the UMKC Cashier’s Office at 816-235-1365.

How do I know whether a course meets specific requirement?
The course schedules indicates courses that meet requirements by the following in the notes section:
J – Course meets jurisprudence requirement
UCC – Course meets uniform commercial code requirement
AdvT – Course meets advanced torts requirement

What is the R&W requirement?
Students are required to submit a rigorous writing piece evidencing legal analysis resulting in a paper of professional quality. For more information, click here.

How do I satisfy the professional skills requirement?
The certification may be obtained in one of the following ways:

  • Completion of one credit hour of professional skills education. This requirement may be completed by successfully completing one or more courses designated in the course schedule as meeting all or a portion of the requirement. Courses are listed by what percentage of total requirement they fulfill.
  • Completion of a one credit hour independent study, Law 746R.
  • Participation in law school programs that provide professional skills education including advocacy, counseling and negotiation competitions.

Can I get credit for working on a journal staff?
Yes. Students should indicate on their course request sheet for each semester the number of credits they will be receiving for participation. A student may NOT serve concurrently as an editor of the Law Review and Urban Lawyer. Two students may NOT hold the same editorship on a journal except for Urban Lawyer assistant editors.

How do I get an emphasis area designation on my transcript?
To learn more about specific emphasis area admission and requirements, click here. Students should familiarize themselves with requirements when requesting 2L and 3L courses.

Do courses fill up? Who is given preference?
Sometimes more students request a course than the number of seats available. Preference will be given to third year students. If there are not enough seats for all members of a class, students are assigned based upon priority requests and random assignment.

Can I be put on a wait list if a course fills up?
Closed courses will be designated on the course schedules. A waiting list process will begin for each closed class and students will be contacted if seats become available. A wait list request form may be obtained from the administrative suite front desk.

Can I register for a course on an ungraded basis?
After completion of the first year, a student may take one elective course ordinarily graded (except a 4-credit-hour class) on an ungraded basis. For a “credit” to be posted on the student’s record, work done for the course must be equivalent to a grade of C- or better, otherwise, the actual grade will be posted. A student must fill out a form provided by the registrar, and delivering in person to the UMKC Registrar’s Office before the beginning of the semester.

How do I drop or add a course?
Drop/adds must be requested by completing a form available from the registrar. A course may not be added after the class has met for one week. Add/Drops cannot be completed online through Pathway.

When is my tuition due?
Tuition and fee payment questions should be directed to the Cashier’s Office.

webmail Blackboard Pathway Symplicity Intranet

UMKC School of Law | 500 East 52nd St. | Kansas City, MO 64110-2458
Contact Us