Every Gift Counts!
Your gift, no matter the size, when combined with gifts of other alumni and friends makes a significant impact on the teaching and learning by enabling the school of law to offer extraordinary experiences for our students and enhance the teaching of our faculty.
Most of our alumni make their annual gifts to the Law Foundation Annual Fund. Slightly more than 72% of each contributed dollar supports students, provides for faculty research grants and also pays for the printing and mailing of Res Ipsa, the twice-a-year alumni publication. The other 28% is used to support fundraising initiatives and administration of the Law Foundation endowment.
Alumni Participation is extremely important!
The UMKC School of Law traditionally leads all the UMKC professional schools in the number of alumni who make an annual gift. One of the goals of the Law Foundation Board of Trustees is to boost the participation rate to at least 15% from the current rate of 10%. Increasing our alumni participation rate demonstrates to the rest of the UMKC community the leadership in giving from law alumni and is often an important consideration when law firms and other potential supporters evaluate their level of support.
While we encourage you to support the Law Foundation Annual Fund, your gift may be directed to any program that interests you at the school of law.
There are many options of how your gift can be made and where your gift can be directed.
The most common way to give to the Law Foundation are gifts made by a check or credit card. Other forms of gifts that have additional tax savings benefits, in addition to the charitable deduction, include stock transfers, gifts from IRAS or retirement accounts and real property, such as homes or land. There are also planned gift options, such as a bequest from a will or trust. Another option are gifts that provide an income stream to the donor and then eventually benefit the school of law. These include charitable remainder trusts and charitable gift annuities.
You are welcome and encouraged to discuss these giving options by contacting the Law Foundation Director of Development, Kirk Baughan.
As the Director of Development and Major Gifts, Kirk works with alumni and friends to bring them closer to students, faculty and programs to help enhance the law school and achieve new levels of excellence. A Kansas State University alumnus and Salina, Kan. native, he has 23 years of higher education experience through his positions with the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Arizona State University and the Kansas State University Foundation.