Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic
Entrepreneurial Legal Clinic Services delivers legal advice and facilitate the delivery of professional business planning to owners of small businesses - both existing and start-ups -- who cannot afford the market rates for such services. UMKC faculty will supervise law students as they provide legal and professional services to qualified clients.
- Assistance in making a choice of entity
- Entity creation by drafting articles of incorporation and organization, by-laws and partnership agreements
- Contract review and drafting
- Advice and assistance concerning debt problems
- Review of lending contracts and loan advice
- Tax advice, especially about the importance of faithful payment of payroll withholding trust amounts and the consequences of failure to pay them
- Advice concerning compliance with consumer, licensing, and regulatory rules
- Copyright and trademark creation
- Incorporation, tax-exempt status [including 501(c) (3)] applications
Students should have taken Business Organizations and Federal Taxation before attempting to enroll in the Clinic. Participation requires initially eight hours of specially scheduled training sessions at the beginning of the semester and about 80 hours on client casework. Attendance is required at client meetings and several class sessions.
The clinic serves new and established entrepreneurs (Missouri or Kansas residents) who need assistance with legal services but who cannot afford the market rate for those services. To be placed on the waiting list of clients, you must complete and return the application to the Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic.